Sunday, February 23, 2014

Gluten Free Banana Pancakes

The day that the wife introduced the idea to go gluten free is the day I thought she finally went off her rocker. How could I give up the gluten filled awesomeness we call bread and cake? The short answer is it was very hard at first. There was no way I had a reaction to wheat products. Sure, I have joint pain from being in the military, but that was part of it. But, after a few weeks I noticed that I wasn't in pain anymore, and I was sleeping better. It's got to be a fluke I kept telling myself. I would fall off the wagon and I would start feeling bad again. That was my reaction, joint pain, feeling tired all of the time, and I would wake up four to five times a night. I know I sound crazy, but that is my reaction to gluten products. Let's get back on subject here, I was trying to find a way that I could have good tasting pancakes in the mornings, and I started experimenting with bananas and eggs. After a few failures I figured out the perfect way to have my precious fried cake and eat it too.

This is going to be easier than opening a box and adding the wet ingredients that you would find with the gluten filled box you would get out of a store.

Here is what you will need.
A bowl - I use a normal soup bowl.
1 Banana - A little over-ripe works best.
2 Eggs - We use eggs from the farm that are not full of the crap that major farms pump into their chickens for profit.
1/2 cup of gluten free oats. Yes, for those of you that don't know, some companies put extra stuff in oats to addict you, and yes gluten is addictive. Don't believe me? Go gluten free and see how you react. I know your saying "There is no way I could do that." Isn't that addiction? Just sayin'. Let's get back on track here. I know I'm babbling.

I use my small Ninja blender to grind up the oats into a fine powder, we are making a flour-type substance here. You can use a food processor, but I just love how the Ninja grinds thing much faster.

Peel your banana and add the 2 eggs to the bowl. I use a potato masher to mash the bananas and mix the eggs. I have tried this in the Ninja and a food processor as well, but I get better results with the potato masher. It's a personal preference. Once everything is mixed, you will have a thin batter, and mix that oats in that we ground earlier. This will thicken that batter perfectly.

That's it. I am a griddle guy when it comes to making pancakes, so I can pour six small pancakes with this recipe and share them with the Brookie for a fast morning breakfast. You can top with whatever your favorite topping is. I like peanut butter with a small swirl of organic maple syrup, and the Brookie loves blueberries and yogurt on hers.

Prep time: 3 minutes
Cook time: 7 minutes

All times rely on you don't have kids running around or wanting to help. We all know how it is.

Enjoy these great and easy pancakes. These are the closest to the old, gluten filled, beasts that I used to eat, and I have been very satisfied. The Brookie loved them too. I've seen this 3 year-old throw down 4-5 of these with eggs and asked for more.

No comments:

Post a Comment